Recruiting skilled school governors from the business community
School governors play a vital role in supporting the education and attainment of our young people, and I am writing to you to seek your involvement in promoting governor opportunities amongst your staff.
(SGOSS) Governors for Schools is a national charity that provides a free governor recruitment service and works with employers across England. SGOSS and Southampton City Council are working together to recruit volunteers to fill vacancies in the City’s schools. There are a number of ways they can work with your organisation to recruit volunteers:
· Presentations to your staff
· Workshop opportunities for your staff
· Internal communications for your company intranet
· Attendance at recruitment events across the City
SGOSS and SCC will work together to match the profile of the volunteers recruited to the needs of local schools with vacancies. This will ensure that the skills your employees bring to the role will have maximum impact for the schools where they are appointed as governors.
School governors have three core roles:
· To set the vision and strategic direction for the school
· To hold the head teacher to account for the educational performance of the school
· To ensure the finances are being well spent
This is an exciting opportunity for your employees – they will be make a valuable contribution to the education outcomes of local children while at the same time developing new skills and having an opportunity to think differently and provide challenge.